Frequently asked questions

We've pulled together the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.


I have an urgent enquiry about my application but the School aren't responding. What should I do?

Please email our admissions Enquiries Team at

We may be able to get in contact with the academic department in question, or at least push your case to them as a matter of urgency.

Unfortunately, there may be times where departments are busier than usual, so it may take longer to respond.

I've submitted my application but haven't received my University ID number. Can you help?

You can contact our ICT Team via email at

I can't activate or login into my Portal self-service account with my credentials – what’s wrong?

This is likely a technical issue. Please contact ICT services on +234  

For information on IT help and support, visit the ICT Services.

I cant seens generate matriculation number by myself like others usually do – what shall I do?

If you are sure you have paid your fees stipulated or you have a waiver due to scholarships or some sort please visit the ICT of the Bursary Unit for guidance

References and transcripts

How can I get a reference from the University?

We will only be able to provide you with a general reference ie start and end date of your course, qualification obtained, etc. To obtain this, you will need to contact our Student Services Centre by phone on +234 .

If you require a more personal reference, then you will need to nominate a specific person with whom you’ve had contact and who is happy to provide a reference to you.

I need to obtain my certificates and transcripts – where can I get these from?

You can obtain such from the University registry department or apply online at online store.

If you require further information or assistance, please contact our Student Services Centre on +234 or email

As a potential employer, where can I obtain a reference of a former student?

Third party requests for award verification should be submitted to the Registry Unit