HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
TThe Department of Educational Foundations was established in the 2014/2015 Academic Session alongside Arts and Social Science Education and Science Education. The Department started with Two Degree Programmes: B. Ed Educational Management and B. Ed Guidance and Counselling and later Bachelor of Library and Information Science. The rationale for the establishment of the Department is to train Teachers, Educational Managers, Counsellors and Librarians that will provide effective and efficient management of schools and other Educational Institutions. In addition, it aims at preparing students to be able to undertake the functions of teachers, managers, counsellors and Librarians, in order to give academic and personal guidance to students and others in need of such, within the educational system. In 2017, Educational Management programme of the Department was granted full Accreditation by NUC. The programme graduated the first set of under graduates in 2017/2018 session.
The establishment of post graduate programme of the Department was approved by the University Senate through a resolution passed on 78th meeting of Senate held on Thursday February 1, 2018, to run a Masters Degree in Educational Management programme. It is hoped that the Masters Degree programme in Educational Management would take off in 2019/2020 session.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The philosophy of the Department is to pursue the fundamental principles of training conscientious teachers, Educational Managers, Counsellors and Librarians, for the Educational Sector of Nigeria. In addition, the Department strives to enhance:
(a) The development of the intellectual capacities of individuals to understand and appreciate their environments.
(b) The acquisition of both physical and intellectual skills which will enable individuals to develop into useful members of the community.
(c) The acquisition of an objective view of the local and external environments while playing the traditional roles of the universities, namely:
(iii) Dissemination of existing and new information
(iv) Pursuit of service to the community
(v) Being a storehouse of knowledge.
OBJECTIVE OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Educational Foundations works towards achieving the following Objectives:
- To produce prospective teachers, educational managers, counsellors and Librarians, with proper leadership qualities based on Catholic orientation.
- To produce teachers with the knowledge, skills and attitudes which will enable them to contribute to the growth and development of their communities in particular and the nation in general.
- To produce teachers who have sound mastery of their subject areas and the ability to impart such knowledge to their students.
- To equip teachers with a mastery of problem solving skills and to enhance the skills of teachers in the use of new technologies.
- To produce highly committed, motivated, conscientious and efficient classroom teachers for our educational system.
- To produce teachers, managers, counsellors and librarians with strong moral values, self-reliance and entrepreneurial capabilities for the social and economic benefit of the students and the Nigerian society.
- To help teachers to fit into the social life of the community and society at large and enhance their commitment to national objectives.
- To provide teachers, managers, counsellors and Librarians with the intellectual and professional background, adequate for their alignment and to make them adaptable to any changing situation, not only in the life of their country but in the wide world.
- To encourage the spirit of enquiry and creativity in teachers, Education managers, Councellors and Librarians.