The Department of Business Administration is created out of the restructuring of the entire University particularly with the introduction of new programmes during the 2014/2015 academic session at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The Department is housed in the College of Management Sciences. In the new structure, the Department houses three undergraduate degree programmes:
1) B.Sc. Marketing and Advertising,
2) B.Sc Banking and Finance and
3) B.Sc Entrepreneurship Studies
This arrangement is considered managerially effective to enable smooth take off for the two programmes, essentially because of the relocation of the University from its take-off campus at Obehie, in Abia State to the permanent site in Bwari, FCT-Abuja. However, it is expected that each of the programmes will culminate in separate departments, respectively with growth in student enrolment.
The academic curricula of the three programmes of the Department tailored the Benchmark and Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) stipulated by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and the examination syllabi of the relevant professional bodies, such as the Nigerian Institute of Management - NIM - (Chartered), Chartered Institute of Administration (CIA), National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria - NIMN - Chartered, Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria - APCON, Nigerian Institute of Public Relations - NIPR - Chartered, Institute of Leadership Learning in Nigeria, and Institute of Entrepreneurs to which many of the undergraduate students aspire to belong
To lead the frontier of management and business scholarship among equals.
To promote academic excellence through committed teaching and research, to make the graduates become confident, innovative, productive and self-reliant and be useful to humanity.
The undergraduate programmes of the Department have come as a private-sector Catholic University initiative to satisfy the needs of Nigerians and non-Nigerians for high quality education in management and business sciences. Specifically, the department aims to:
- Produce graduates with strong moral character who are sufficiently trained in the humanities, social sciences, and management disciplines to prepare them for the variety of job opportunities that will be open to them after graduation;
- Prepare the graduates for the tasks that they may be confronted with in life and enable them to bring their knowledge to bear in whatever roles they may be called upon to play in the cause of national development;
- Equip the graduates to enable them to fit into varieties of job opportunities in teaching, research and development, and management positions in both the public and private sectors of the economy;
- Expose students to training in professional areas, such as Management, Leadership, Marketing and Advertising, Public Relations, Administration, etc. to enable them pursue their desired career paths.
- Build strong capacity for developing entrepreneurial skills in the graduates for optimal utilization of their talents, professional, vocational, and skills for self-employment so that they will become creators of jobs, rather than job-seekers.