HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Arts and Social Science Education started with two lecturers, Dr. (Mrs.) Esther B. Fabusuyi and Dr. (Mrs.) Christiana K. Bitrus at the commencement of 2014/2015 Academic Session. The Department now has eighteen academic staff. The Department currently runs four Degree Programmes namely:
i. Bachelor of Education, Business Education.
ii. Bachelor of Arts Education English.
iii. Bachelor of Science Education Economics.
iv. Bachelor of Education Social Studies.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The philosophy of the Department is to pursue with vigour, the fundamental principles of training conscientious teachers for the secondary levels of the Nigerian educational system. To make the Philosophy functional, the Department strives to bring about the acquisition, development and inculcation of proper value-orientation for the survival of the individuals and society. In addition, the Department enhances:
(a) The development of the intellectual capacities of individuals to understand and appreciate their environments.
(b) The acquisition of both physical and intellectual skills which will enable individuals to develop into useful members of the community.
(c) The acquisition of an objective view of the local and external environments while playing the traditional roles of the universities, namely:
(iii) Dissemination of existing and new information
(iv) Pursuit of service to the community
(v) Being a storehouse of knowledge.
OBJECTIVE OF THE DEPARTMENT
On the basis of the above articulation, the Department of Arts and Social Science Education works towards achieving the following objectives:
- To produce prospective teachers with proper leadership qualities based on Catholic orientation.
- To produce teachers with the knowledge, skills and attitudes which will enable them to contribute to the growth and development of their communities in particular and their nation in general.
- To produce teachers who have sound mastery of their subject areas and the ability to impart such knowledge to their students.
- To equip teachers with a mastery of problem solving skills and to enhance the skills of teachers in the use of new technologies.
- To produce highly committed, motivated, conscientious and efficient classroom teachers for our educational system.
- To produce teachers with strong moral values, self-reliance and entrepreneurial capabilities for the social and economic benefit of themselves and the Nigerian society.
- To help teachers to fit into the social life of the community and society at large and enhance their commitment to national objectives.
- To provide teachers with the intellectual and professional background, adequate for their alignment and to make them adaptable to any changing situation, not only in the life of their country but in the wide world.
- To encourage the spirit of enquiry and creativity in teachers.