The mission of Veritas University is to provide its students with an integral and holistic formation that combines academic and professional training with physical, moral, spiritual, social and cultural formation together with formation of Christian religious principles and the social Teachings of the Catholic Church. Through research, the University shall engage in the continous quest for truth, and the creation, preservation and dissemination of knowledge for the good of the society (Ex Corde Ecclesiastes no. 30). Based on Christian inspiration and Christ's sacrificial witness, the University shall promote authentic human and cultural development modeled on the person of Christ, and shall champion the cause of justice and uprightness in society, work to empower the weak and the marginalized, and promote dialogue and collaboration in human relationships at various levels and among various cultures and religions (Ex Corde Ecclesiastes nos. 31-37). From inception, the University shall encourage and promote research and scholarship in all fields of knowledge (Ex Corde Ecclesiastes, Gen. Norms Art 2:1&2) as well as carry out teaching and other activities in accordance with Catholic ideals, principles and attitudes, while respecting the freedom of conscience of each person.
Thus, graduates from the Veritas University, Abuja, after successfully completing their studies, should be able to use the knowledge and skills acquired at the Institution for the upliftment of themselves and the Nigerian society. In totality, the University will produce graduates, irrespective of race, gender, political and religious affiliation, who would posses the following qualities:
a) wide and ordered knowledge in an area of academic discipline
b) the ability to reason logically
c) the ability to communicate clearly in speech and writing with confidence
d) competence in numeric and computer literacy
e) exhibition of such moral values as honesty, humility, truthfulness, love and high ethics in personal and professional life;
f) ready acceptance of obligations and responsibilities; and well developed interpersonal skills and capacity for team work.
The University shall be research oriented. This arises from the need for a continuous quest for truth, and underscores the Church's belief in the intrinsic value of human knowledge. Emphasis shall be placed on research that grapples with the contemporary human, social, economic, political, cultural, ecological and religious problems of the Nigerian society and the wider human community, and what draws from the rich and diverse cultures of Nigerian peoples in analyzing societal problems paying special attention to their ethical and religious dimensions. In this way, the University shall show itself to be an instrument for the promotion and protection of nature, human dignity, justice and peace, and economic and political values n Nigeria and globally ((Ex Corde Ecclesiastes no. 32).
Our University is founded on the philosophy that all knowledge originates from God and that knowledge is for the service of humanity; consequently, knowledge should be disseminated to individuals without hindrance. Thus, in its bid for excellence, Veritas University, Abuja will promote the highest standards of teaching, research and community service whilst providing a balanced education for the acquisition of knowledge, practical skills and moral rectitude. The philosophy of the Veritas University, Abuja is inline with the challenge posed by the Second Vatican Council to Institutions of higher Learning "to put forth every effort so that the Christian (human) mind may achieve a public, persistent, universal presence in the whole enterprise of advancing higher culture" (gavissimum education, n.10).
GOALS OF THE UNIVERSITY:
Grounded on the call of the Second vatican Council for Institutions of Higher Learning to "put forth every effort so that the Christian (human) mind may achieve, as it were, a public, persistent, universal presence in the whole enterprise of advancing higher culture, and the students of these institutions may become people outstanding in learning, ready to shoulder society's heavier burdens and to witness the faith to the world" (Gravissimum education, n.10). Veritas University aims to advance knowledge in the service of God, humanity, truth and society; to promote the highest standards of teaching and learning, research and community service; to produce graduates with practical skills and the ability to engage critically and meaningfully with a society that has more and more alienating, and with the contemporary global culture; and to inculcate in the students the cultivation of moral rectitude in personal and professional life, and the readiness to accept and discharge obligations and responsibilities.
OBJECTIVES OF THE UNIVERSITY:
- To provide a distinctive setting that facilitates the physical, moral, spiritual, socail, cultural and intellectual development of youths in the best tradition of Catholic Higher Education and train them to be useful citizens and responsible leaders.
- To be an equal opportunity Institution opening its doors to all persons without distinction of sex, race, ethnic origin, creed or political affiliation.
- To utilize the rich and diverse cultural traditions of Nigerian peoples in its research for the service of national unity and the social, economic, political and cultural development of Nigeria.
- To advance higher learning with a commitment to the ideals of hard work, integrity, discipline and creativeness.
- To develop a top quality core of academic staff of world standard committed to true scholarship and research within a Christian ethos.
- To attract and retain top class undergraduates and graduates, and prepare them for successful lives and careers in programmes that combine academic excellence with practical skills and entrepreneurial orientation.
- To develop academic partnerships and collaboration in teaching and research with Instiutions of higher learning world-wide so as to expose both staff and students of the University to influences outside their immediate environment.
All members of staff and all students of Veritas University are expected to recognize and respect the Catholic identity of the University, commit to its Philosophy, Vison and Mission and subscribe to and promote its goals and objectives.