The Department of Accounting is an offshoot of the defunct Department of Management Sciences, one of the six foundation departments of Veritas University Abuja (The Catholic University of Nigeria), which took off in the 2008/2009 academic session after the University was established in 2007. From its inception, the defunct Department of Management Sciences offered two undergraduate degree programmes, namely,
i. B. Sc. (Accounting), and
ii. B. Sc. (Marketing and Advertising)
In 2013, these two degree programmes became independent departments
The academic curricula of the Department is based on the Benchmark and Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS) as stipulated by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and the examination syllabi of the relevant professional bodies, such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), to which many of the undergraduate students aspire to belong.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
To make its Accounting programme responsive to the needs of the graduates, the government, industry, and the society thereby supporting the socioeconomic and moral development of the country and scientific research to advance knowledge in the disciplines it offers.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The undergraduate programme of the Department has come as a private-sector Catholic university initiative to satisfy the needs of Nigerians and non-Nigerians for high quality education in Accounting. This undergraduate programme leads to the award of Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with the following objectives:
- producing graduates with strong moral character who are sufficiently trained in the humanities, social sciences, and management disciplines to prepare them for the variety of job opportunities that will be open to them after graduation;
- preparing the graduates for the tasks that they may be confronted with in life and enable them to bring their training to bear in whatever roles they may be called upon to play in the cause of national development;
- preparing the graduates to fit into varieties of job opportunities in teaching, research and development, and management positions in both the public and private sectors of the economy;
- training students to achieve sufficient professional competence to pass their professional examinations and qualify within the shortest possible time; and
- building strong capacity for developing entrepreneurial skills in the graduates for optimal utilization of their talents and professional, vocational, and skills training for self-employment so that they will become creators of jobs, rather than job-seekers.
- The Department intends to achieve these aims and objectives through:
tapping into the noble traditions of the Catholic Church and the rich resources of Catholic universities worldwide;
- establishing institutional linkages with first rate universities in the world for mutually beneficial relationships;
offering state-of-the-art training facilities that prepare the graduates for responsibilities they will shoulder in the world of work and the larger society;
- producing graduates that are the most sought-after by all employers of labour, as well as postgraduate schools and research institutes; and
- striving to become a centre of excellence with expertise and facilities to accelerate the pace of the nation’s development.
With these resources, the Department hopes to satisfy the educational and moral needs of its prospective students more efficiently and more effectively than they can obtain elsewhere in Nigeria. In this way, the Department will contribute to the realization of Veritas University Abuja’s mission of “providing integrated and holistic formation of students and advancing knowledge in the service of God and society based on Catholic principles”.